MatarikiYouth Development

COVID-19 Update #11

COVID-19 Update #11

Posted June 05, 2020

The move to Alert Level 1 is great news for New Zealand sport and recreation as it signals the end of formal restrictions. The main controls under Alert Level 1 are border limitations and managed isolation or quarantine for people entering the country.

Play, active recreation and sport under Alert Level 1 looks much like it did pre Covid-19. There are no restrictions on businesses and services (including hospitality), no restrictions on gathering, no requirements for physical distancing and no requirements to keep records to enable contact tracing.

You should still maintain QR codes however where possible to allow people to log where they have been. While none of the public health requirements are mandatory – it is important to remain vigilant and continue to practice good hygiene to minimise the risk of community transmission.

There is still an important role for the sport and active recreation sector to play in ensuring that the virus remains under control. We will almost certainly see cases here again but will continue to support the maintenance of good hygiene practices and encourage individuals to maintain their own contact tracing records.

Please find the new Alert level 1 Table here.

As mass gatherings limits are removed, large events such as sports games or tournaments are able to go ahead. Organisers are encouraged to adopt the COVID Code (more details coming soon) and should be aware they may be asked to postpone or cancel gatherings under the circumstance that a significant outbreak has reoccurred, or if case numbers increase.

In light of this we will continue with our planning to hold the 25th Nationals Tournament and celebrations in late September and October as well as the Inter Regionals championships being held over Labour weekend. We are currently working on the updating of the Event Notices for both events and putting together a Dispensation panel.

Over the next couple of weeks IHNZ will also be seeking expressions of interest from those who would like to apply for the Event Managers position at these tournaments. If you think this may be of interest to you then we look forward to seeing your application.

Sport NZ Funds update
The Sport NZ Community Resilience Fund will close in two weeks and there is still investment available via this Fund. We encourage you to spread the word throughout your networks and contact your local Regional Sport Trust to explore eligibility and begin the application process.

Also opened this week was the new Exceptional Systems Support Fund which is aimed at national organisations who are not partners of Sport NZ, but are valuable contributors to the play, active recreation and sport system in New Zealand.

More information on both funds can be found here.

The IHNZ AGM is scheduled to take place on Sunday 26 July 2020 in Auckland. We will be reviewing this date if their are any alert level changes but at present we envisage the following:

  • 15 June 2020 - AGM Notice to be distributed to clubs, FB and Website
  • 28 June 2020 - Applications and remits to be received
  • 11 July 2020   -  Agenda to be developed and disseminated
  • 25 July 2020   - Board Meeting
  • 26 July 2020   - SGM/AGM

Oceanias Update
As many of you may have heard in the media, most service providers are offering credits equal to the amount originally paid and consider this represents the value of the original bookings

IHNZ are continuing to follow this up with the airlines and hotels as well as our insurance provider. At this stage we still haven’t received final correspondence in regards to Oceanais.

We understand this is a particularly trying time and answers have been a long time coming. This is an unprecedented and fluid situation which is constantly changing due to the ever changing landscape with Covid-19 and how the suppliers are coping with the pandemic. Please be assured we are working hard to find a solution.

As soon as we have more information to hand we will advise soonest.

As usual, any questions or queries please forward to

Stay safe all,
IHNZ Board